About Me

My photo
I live in the Florida Keys. I've been in the military and worked inside the Beltway. I've had 22 technical books and two novels published. I fly, boat, dive, shoot, and swim pretty damn well.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

What Happened to the Nukes at Minot?

A spent a couple of years in the Air Force carrying "The Key" for two-man nuclear control codes. Along with other paraphenalia and procedures, "The Key" allowed two people to authorize the launch of weapons with nuclear warheads.

I know how paranoid and nit-picking by-the-book the whole nuclear weapons control program is run in the Air Force. So, when I heard that a brace of warheads had been flown from Minot to Barkesdale without authorization, I shook my head in disbelief.

It is worth emphasizing that the warheads were never out of Air Force control and really that they were not even out of control of the small group of people authorized for control of such weapons. They remained within the church and within the priesthood, so to speak. But losing track of them for even a microsecond is unbelievable.

Since the Air Force is NOT made up of members of Congress (that is, immune for their sins) heads have rolled. Interestingly, the story is told on a nifty Website titles "In From the Cold" that I think you'll enjoy. There are three parts, but the third is just s re-hash. See PART 1 and PART 2. Very interesting stuff.

No comments: