About Me

My photo
I live in the Florida Keys. I've been in the military and worked inside the Beltway. I've had 22 technical books and two novels published. I fly, boat, dive, shoot, and swim pretty damn well.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Newspaper Comments on Generalship

"It appears we have appointed our worst generals to command forces, and our most gifted and brilliant to edit newspapers. In fact, I discovered by reading newspapers that these editor/geniuses plainly saw all my strategic defects from the start, yet failed to inform me until it was too late. Accordingly, I am readily willing to yield my command to these obviously superior intellects, and I will, in turn, do my best for the Cause by writing editorials - after the fact." Robert E. Lee, 1863

Those of you who think this quote is too good to be true will be interested in the "Urban Legend" research concerning the quote at Snopes.com At the very least, it was attributed to Lee during his lifetime, so it seems quite legitimate. Although it is often copied, re-phrased, and variously attributed. I'm certain that the very same thing occurred to various Greek and Roman field generals in times BC. --FJD
See : http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/robertelee.asp

No comments: