About Me

My photo
I live in the Florida Keys. I've been in the military and worked inside the Beltway. I've had 22 technical books and two novels published. I fly, boat, dive, shoot, and swim pretty damn well.

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Finding Steve Fossett: Fascinating Tech App

Some of you might have seen this from other aviation sources, but it's worth repeating if only to marvel at the technology. Amazon.com is somehow cooperating with Google Earth and asking anyone and everyone to visually scan current images of the Steve Fossett search area to look for anything unusual.

See http://www.mturk.com/mturk/preview?groupId=9TSZK4G35XEZJZG21T60&kw=story

This is a fascinating story of technology and sociology. From the perspective of my age and history, it is mind blowing. Anyone in the world can help find the man missing in Nevada from any computer in the world. Fascinating.

Yes, yes, there are a dozen possible objections from those critical of anything. Why him? Why don't we use these resources for World Peace or something? Yeah, yeah. But, it takes little steps and this use of technology is ....jaw dropping.

No comments: