About Me

My photo
I live in the Florida Keys. I've been in the military and worked inside the Beltway. I've had 22 technical books and two novels published. I fly, boat, dive, shoot, and swim pretty damn well.

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Water in the Fuel -- Tighten the cap!

Why is this av-gas so cloudy?

Ah yes, the value of checking your fuel every time you fly! The floating plastic piece in my fuel sampler has a specific gravity lighter than water and heavier than av gas, so if there is water in the sample, the yellow cap floats on the water. Of course, the cloudiness and absence of blue dye are two other good clues that I had a lot of water in my left tank. This sample was taken after a recent heavy rain and the water was only present in the left tank.

The cure is to simply snug up that lock nut on the bottom of the fuel cap. But, of course, you can't over-do it. In my case, it only took about 1/4 turn. If you get it too tight the flip lever won't go down and/or you won't be able to turn the key to lock it. Lock it? With fuel over $4 / gal, you betcha. Besides, locking the cap is a good way to prevent mischief.

No comments: