About Me

My photo
I live in the Florida Keys. I've been in the military and worked inside the Beltway. I've had 22 technical books and two novels published. I fly, boat, dive, shoot, and swim pretty damn well.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I Bought Myself a New Knife!

I got my first Victorinox knife as a gift from the Governor of the Dutch side of the Island of St. Maartin in 1968. I carried it around the world for a couple of decades. It was about 1972 when Japanese security guards stopped me at a commercial airport and taped it shut with Scotch Tape before they let me on the flight! The Japanese respected edged weapons well before the employment of the box cutter as a WMD. The tape was... symbolic.

My next Victorinox was a gift from an investment company with whom I left great amounts of money. (Damn you Cisco stock!) I carried it until 9/11. Just after that, anyone who even contemplated a sharp instrument was in jeopardy.

But, as a private pilot, boater, and diver I don't have to worry about TSA. So, I set out to get myself an appropriate pocket knife. There are just under a zillion models of the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife. Some of them are whimpy and some of them are so chunky that they're a joke. But this one, the One-Hand Trekker, is absolutely the best gift for any guy. You can buy this as a gift and be confident that it is not under-kill or over-kill.
Forget about a cork screw. That is not a requirement for most guys. But, a toothpick sure is! Besides, most of these knives trade-off a corkscrew for a Phillips screwdriver... one or the other... and believe me, the Phillips is a LOT more useful! The saw blade can cut a rope or cut you out of a canopy. After a LOT of research, this is the one I bought and it's the one you'll want!

No comments: