About Me

My photo
I live in the Florida Keys. I've been in the military and worked inside the Beltway. I've had 22 technical books and two novels published. I fly, boat, dive, shoot, and swim pretty damn well.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

A Navion Comes to Marathon



A Really Cool Airplane in the Keys
Lots of things make you what you are. I grew up watching and listening to Arthur Godfrey. Arthur was an amateur radio operator (there are great stories about his work with Curtis LeMay in designing the Strategic Air Command comm systems that I ran as a 2nd Lieutenant) and a pilot, so he hooked me twice. One of the planes Arthur flew and talked about was the Navion.






Later, I saw Navions at events like Sun-N-Fun and always marveled at the size, capacity, and beauty of the airplane. They were made by Ryan Aviation after WWII. Wikipedia has a nice history of the airplane.



My friend Bob Silber brought his Navion home to the Marathon airport yesterday. Sliding canopy, retractable gear, constant speed prop, tip tanks, and a big engine. It has more than you'd find in a Bonanza and it looks (way) cooler.
Bob's airplane has a modern IFR panel and a great new interior. Everything looks and smells fresh and new.



Scads of room in all seats! Storage too.
One of my favorite authors, W.E.B. Griffin, relates how Douglas MacArthur, who was 5' 11" but seemed a lot taller, had an L-17 (Navion) that he was flown around in during the Korean War period.

Ah yes, I am envious. What a great practical airplane. Congratulations, Bob!



No comments: