About Me

My photo
I live in the Florida Keys. I've been in the military and worked inside the Beltway. I've had 22 technical books and two novels published. I fly, boat, dive, shoot, and swim pretty damn well.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Summer Solstice

Today, at 6:06 PM we will experience the Summer Solstice. Here in the Florida Keys we "experience" it more profoundly than people do in many other places. We can see the results in our backyard. At sunset, the sun has been marching from left to right since December. Starting tomorrow, it will start marching back the other way. I hope to get some photos tonight showing how far over it appears on our horizon over Florida Bay.

The solstice is a celebration that came way before others with religious or historical significance. After all, the position of the sun is instantly visible and quite interesting.... if you can stop to look.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solstice


This Wikipedia page does a good job of explaining (as usual) and it includes an interesting table. It's all about the tilt and wobble of the Earth.

No comments: