About Me

My photo
I live in the Florida Keys. I've been in the military and worked inside the Beltway. I've had 22 technical books and two novels published. I fly, boat, dive, shoot, and swim pretty damn well.

Monday, June 4, 2007

I Want a VHF ADF

I had an ADF in my Grumman Cheetah. I found an FCC database of AM Broadcast transmitter locations and would often dial up an AM station to backup all of the other high-tech (and subject ot instant failure) nav stuff in the airplane.

I think that a product that would sell would be a handheld transceiver for VHF / marine/ aviation / that had an ADF function. After seeing what can be done with with microelectronics today (e.g. the pinky-nail size chip that replaces tumbling gyros) I believe it can be done with bulky external antenna arrays.
There must be someone who can make a solid state phase or something detection system that would give you an arrow on an LCD screen pointing to the station you are receiving.

Gimme an ADF steer to the tower operator, the AWOS, the sinking boat, even the NOAA wx radio tower.

Yes, I know that there are transceivers that can give you a TO/FROM VOR radial, but I want a VHF ADF. Maybe one antenna on the unit and another one on a cable that can be 3-6 feet away.... or something?

No comments: