About Me

My photo
I live in the Florida Keys. I've been in the military and worked inside the Beltway. I've had 22 technical books and two novels published. I fly, boat, dive, shoot, and swim pretty damn well.

Sunday, June 3, 2007

Flying the Zodiac HC601XL



I own and fly a Zodiac HC601XL. This is a light sport aircraft manufactured by AMD in Eastman, GA. The picture shows my plane on display at an air show in Sebring, FL. This aircraft is a commercially manufactured version of a plane that has been popular in kit form for decades. Hundreds of them are flying.

This version it is powered by a well-proven Continental 0-200 engine. The aircraft can carry two people with a full fuel load. It isn't rated for aerobatics, but it is well known as being very sturdy. It cruises at a maximum comfortable speed of about 130 MPH. It can fly for as much as four hours with a good fuel reserve.... although this pilot probably wants to get out and move around before that!
I previously owned and flew a Grumman Cheetah. The Grummans are beautiful pilot-friendly airplanes. Unfortunately, they're getting a little old and every year they present new challenges in maintenance. The Zodiac has much less payload capacity, but otherwise it flies about the same.
Fully loaded, I can get the Zodiac off the ground in 900 feet and climb at a constant rate of about 800 feet per minute. The airplane comfortably cruises at 8500 feet, although I would want oxygen if I was going to stay any higher for more than a few minutes.
It's been a pure love affair with the AMD Zodiac. She has a big elevator, so she is sensitive in pitch, but generally she handles like a dream. I've had it back to AMD for an initial 50 hour check and they have treated me very well.
If you have questions about the Zodiac, check the 601XL page on my www.flyinflorida.com Website.

No comments: