About Me

My photo
I live in the Florida Keys. I've been in the military and worked inside the Beltway. I've had 22 technical books and two novels published. I fly, boat, dive, shoot, and swim pretty damn well.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Alternative Energy Thoughts

I ran across This Website where the author references Ray Kurzweil's PROGNOSIS that Moore's Law will make electricity-from-solar cheap and easy in pretty quick time. I have met Ray Kurzweil, had lunch with him years ago when he was doing the speech synth thing, and I like him. So, maybe he's right.

A commentor on the Speculist site points out that storage of power is the big problem. Battery design has NOT followed Moore's Law. A prototype car I saw coming from India made me think more about compressed air. The technology of compression is easy and new materials make construction of lighter/stronger storage tanks easier. Modern SCUBA tanks are good for 3500 psi.

So, maybe we can get away from petrofuels. Just pondering it all. -- FJD

No comments: