About Me

My photo
I live in the Florida Keys. I've been in the military and worked inside the Beltway. I've had 22 technical books and two novels published. I fly, boat, dive, shoot, and swim pretty damn well.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Visit to The Local Gun Store

I visited Shoot Straight Tampa, a great gun store here in Tampa, the other morning.  I got into the parking lot at 0945.  You would have thought I was at a CrackerBarrel on I75 at high noon.  The parking lot was jammed all the way to the back and folks were leaning against the poles on the porch.  When the doors opened at 1000 it was like the day after Thanksgiving at WalMart.  

I noted that for the Holidays they only have three concealed firearms permit classes in the week.  
There is clearly a political statement to be made here, but I'll refrain.  
As a member of the range, I was able to rent a Beretta PX4 in 9mm to fire.   One of the  characters in my book, "A Glint In Time" (available through Amazon.com) carries a PX4 and she likes shooting it, so I had to try it.  (Yes, I talk to my characters all the time.. that's the advantage of being a writer.. I actually benefit from my imaginary friends!)  

I was thrilled with the sight picture, the comfort, and the smoothness of the PX4.  Everything about this weapon is perfect for me.  Next visit to the range, I'll try it in .40 caliber.    


No comments: