About Me

My photo
I live in the Florida Keys. I've been in the military and worked inside the Beltway. I've had 22 technical books and two novels published. I fly, boat, dive, shoot, and swim pretty damn well.

Monday, September 8, 2008

A neat heat recovery system for internal combustion engines


This is a neat heat recovery system for internal combustion engines, but would it work on airplanes and would it be worth its weight in RANGE? Could we do without an alernator? That would be good.


Trade-off between alernator weight and exhaust gas turbine weight? Really, I only need a few watts of power in an LSA. Landing lights? Who needs landing lights in an LSA? I usually charge at 1 amp! Twelve watts isn't much power and I carry around this huge alternator to produce it?!




3 comments:

Nucleus said...

Hey Frank, BMW has done something very similar, see http://www.gizmag.com/go/4936/

Derf said...

Thanks much for the information. I'll go look at it right now!

Derf said...

YES! an IBM Turbo-Steamer -- super stuff.